The destruction of the city of Beauvais by the German army in 1940 led to the disappearance of a rich architectural heritage, especially in wood. However, a first census carried out in 2011 shows that nearly a hundred timber-framed houses have been preserved in the town centre. This wooden architecture has not been the subject of any study to our knowledge. Therefore, the municipal archaeological service wished to initiate, in 2022, an inventory and a study of this underestimated heritage. This article presents the first observations and problems encountered during the implementation of this project.